Monday, June 24, 2013

A Cent-less Attack

(I’m taking money at the first window. A car pulls up with a middle-aged customer driving, and what looks to be her older mother in the passenger seat.)

Me: “Hi, your total is—.”
Mother: “Where do we get my food?! I’m hungry! This line is taking too long!”
Daughter: “You have to pay first, mom.”
Mother: “I’m getting it!”

(She scrounges around for money in her purse. She hands me what’s supposed to be exact change. I count it three times, and she’s a penny short.)

Me: “Ma’am, do you have a penny?”
Mother: “Are you serious? I’m not giving you no d*** penny! Where’s my food?!”
Me: “Ma’am, I need that penny, or my till will come out short.”
Mother: “And I said you ain’t getting no d*** penny!”
(She starts shouting at her daughter.)
Mother: “Drive to the next window!”
(The daughter looks horrified about her mother’s behavior, and doesn’t move.)
Mother: “Fine! I’ll get it myself!”
(The mother gets out of the car, and starts walking toward the next window.)
Me: “Ma’am, can you please get back in your car?”
Mother: “F*** you!”

(The daughter is horrified, apologizes to me, and drives forward. A minute later, I see the mother walk back to my open window as I’m paying out another customer. She throws a penny at me, which hits me in the knuckle and bruises it.)

Mother: “There’s your d*** penny!”

No comments:

Post a Comment